Sunday, March 11, 2007

Kayaking...

What an experience. Have you ever been on a river in a boat? Well I have and I must say it is not something that I was able to pick up very easily, in fact I am still rather unsure of what I am fully doing.
On my first river experience I managed to dunk myself three times and get stuck. The nose of my boat was facing straight up and I was pinned to a branch that had decided to invade the path in which I was proceeding to follow.
The first time I went in, well I didn’t really mind it; apart from the fact that I got hit in the head but a rock and then when I decided to just peacefully, defensively swim (which means holding onto my boat and paddle lay flat of my back with my feet up) was struck again by another rock on my tail bone.
The second time I went in, I thought great, what fun, once again. However, this time there was no uncomforting rocks. The reason I had gone in that time was because one of the leaders had told me to come across to the other side of the river. I had tried to explain to him (jokingly) that I preferred the side that I was on. But he didn’t listen. And then once I had fallen in (I would like to add, not on purpose) and managed to get to the shore, which may sound easy, but trust me even after doing it as many times as I have, it doesn’t help having the current pushing you down stream. So I get to shore and look up and find that I was on the side that I was told to come over to, just a little further down stream, but everyone else had decided to go over to the other side. They just couldn’t make their mind up…
However, once I got stuck, I started to get rather frustrated. At first I thought oh this is great, I have done it all, it just can’t get much worse. I was cracking jokes the whole way. I asked for a cup of tea and a donut to pass the time. But when I saw one of the person’s face, who had to come and wade in with another two people to de-stuck me, I started to feel stupid and irritated with myself. I was only holding the group up really…
Right after the place where I had gotten stuck, there was a grade three rapid. (the grading system on rivers goes up to about 5, or at least it is recognised up to grade 5, rivers do get harder…) at first I thought that I would definitely not go down it, but then I thought well there is no way in which I can get stuck and really hold the group up really. Worst comes to worst I go in for a third time, which I did. When I went over, I thought that I would start to get out of the boat, but then realised that I was only halfway down the rapid, so decided to wait until I had gone down into calmer waters, on the way I realised that I was having to hold my breath and that I was running out, so I thought that I had better get out soon. I had forgotten that my boat was a little tight. But I am out and alive… a towline was thrown to me and I was pulled ashore. But I did let go of my paddle; I think more of out frustration that I had gone in yet again, than forgetting to hold on to it.
And Friday I need to brace myself for my second experience…
Take care
Alex

No comments: