Sunday, July 16, 2006

Trouble sleeping?

Do you have trouble sleeping? I have found that I do not really have much trouble sleeping, I may not sleep as well as some others but I do get enough rest. I have some friends however, who have no trouble sleeping. For example a friend in school could fall asleep wherever and whenever she felt tired. The first time I experienced her sleepiness, was during a biology class.

The class is set up in a way that we have two desks connected together, longwise, facing another two desks placed in the same way, with a bench in between the two desks. There are two of these set up in the room, so the class can fit comfortably, 18 students and a teacher, with enough room to work in. I sat at one desk and my friend sat at the one next to me. The board is placed at an angle that for us to see we have to turn our heads 90 degrees from our desks and I sat at the desk closest to the board, therefore my friend sat relatively behind me.

While the teacher was explaining something on the board, my friend nodded off. I turned to make a stupid comment about what the teacher had just said when I realised that she had fallen asleep. Now, you have to understand that when placed in a new situation, I tend to just sit around and wait it out to see what happens, therefore the next time that I am placed in a similar position I will know what to do. At this point it was a new experience for me and I wasn't sure what I should do. I looked at her and then turned to face the teacher, to see if she had noticed, hoping that she hadn't realised that a quarter of her class was dreaming. Thank goodness she hadn't seen my class mate. I turned back to the sleeper and decided that it would be best for me to try and wake her before she got in trouble, so I shook her once. No reaction. I shook her again, and there was still no reaction. The teacher then suddenly asked, annoyed: "Is she asleep?". I looked in horror, fearing what would happen to my friend. The teacher tried waking her, who just moved a little and continued her reserved thinking. To my shock and surprise my teacher was not mad, just frustrated. She turned to the rest of the class, consisting of two other girls and myself, and said "Oh, well just leave her."

I wish I was allowed to sleep wherever and whenever and not get in trouble for it. In fact now that I think about it I wish I could fall asleep now...............

1 comment:

marcel said...

depends what the reason is one can fall asleep whenever he/she wants... i do not envy her...